The Rules of My Blog:
- This blog contains my opinions. It also contains rude language, venting, ranting and occasionally poetry. You’ve been warned.
- If you’re going to submit a comment on my blog, read this section first.
- If you’re going to submit a comment on my blog, read the article you’re commenting on first.
- In fact, read it twice before trying to submit your comment.
- All comments are moderated by me and automatic comment approval is off. All incoming comment submissions must be manually approved, so if your comment doesn’t come up immediately, that’s why. I try and review all comment submissions within forty-eight hours.
- If your comment is not approved for publication on my blog, it’s not approved. Move on with your life, because I won’t be explaining myself or my decision, and I don’t generally listen to appeals.
- I also reserve the right to quote, analyze, censor, delete and/or mock any commentary on this blog. Opinions which differ from mine have a much better chance of being approved if they’re framed in intelligent, respectful language.
- Piss me off and I’ll ban you.
- I respond rather poorly to insults, attempts at censorship and threats in general so if that’s all you’ve got to contribute, don’t bother.
- Do not presume you can order me around. Ever.
Rules for Reposting my Content
- This is my original content and work. It is my property, and I maintain all rights and ownership of my intellectual property.
- Feel free to link to my blog, but if you’re going to re-post more than, say, a paragraph or so, then you need to ask my permission. All re-posts must be credited to me, with a link to this blog.
- If you misquote me, misrepresent me, or take my words and use them out of context to justify a position I don’t support, or rip me off and try to pass off my uncredited work as your own, I will go medieval on your ass. And since I’m a re-enactor of medieval history with a house full of reproduction mayhem, that’s not necessarily metaphorical.
- If you’re making money off my original content, then you’ll need my written permission and I’ll want a piece of the action. Make money off me without my permission and I’ll skip the mister-nice-guy routine in #3 and go straight for the lawyers.
Who am I?
I’m a man in my late-thirties (sigh), married and getting settled down in life. I work as an executive assistant, I write a bit in my spare time, and I have some interesting hobbies.
For a most of my twenties I was a hardcore global justice activist, but I’ve settled down and am working for a living these days. I have a house and a job, a wife and a couple of dogs, but don’t let my heteronormative suburban commuter appearance fool you: Down deep I’m still the radical bisexual neopagan activist that I’ve always been. I still support social justice, ecological responsibility, and inclusiveness for all genders and orientations. A lot of my blog posts are going to about that sort of thing, and as anybody who knows me is aware, I lean so far to the left that stuff occasionally rolls off the table.
For fun, I play in the Society for Creative Anachronism, recreating the European Middle Ages without the religious strife, sexism, racism and open-air sewers. I own a real suit of armour and various fake implements of mayhem which I’m learning to use. A large number of posts will involve my personal experiences with medieval reenactment and especially with the challenging but rewarding efforts I’m making to become a swordsman. I’m also an avid PC gamer, D&D enthusiast and general nerd. To balance that out, I also try to be an outdoorsman, hiker and sailor.
What’s this blog going to be all about?
Simply put, it’s going to be about, well, my life. For a long time I treated my first blog (on LiveJournal!) as a fairly exhibitionistic diary, using it to vent, to complain and to sort out the things in my life that I needed to think through. That’s hasn’t changed that much with this blog. Considering that anyone with a minimum of net-fu can find out who I really am I won’t use names… at least of the real people in my life. The most I’ll ever use is an initial… and there’s no guarantee that any initial will be a real one. And occasionally nicknames, I suppose. A tiny illusion of anonymity is to be preserved in the digital age, after all.
What won’t you see on this blog?
Generally speaking, I’m not going to talk about work. I work for a group of companies where my co-workers and employer all are friends with me and each other; that means they know what’s going on in my life and many read my Facebook, so they’ll be able to see this blog. Complaining (or even commenting) on one’s job in a public forum is unprofessional; when I see people getting fired for bad-mouthing their employer it always makes me shake my head: There’s stuff you do, and stuff you don’t do. Working in a professional environment teaches you the difference pretty quickly.
I have no patience for jollying along bigots, homophobes, assholes and fools. If you’ve got a problem with equal marriage, small-l liberalism, social justice or economic equality, do us both a favour and walk away from this blog now: it’s going to save time and aggravation in the long run. I reserve the right to censor, delete and/or mock any commentary on this blog, particularly “right wing” commentary; There are places in this world where we can have a dialogue on our various opinions, but this is not one of them: This is my space. That means I get to say what I want to say in my space and I have the right to curate what other people say in my space. If I don’t like what you write, I will delete it; If you’re rude and offensive, I’ll delete it and ban you. If you don’t like it: tough. You can do and say what you want on your own damn page.